Ornamentales, Vides y Frutales, SA – Orvifrusa is on its way to reach 50 years dedicated to nursery production. At present, its acronym and commercial name, ORVIFRUSA, continues to present it perfectly, highlighting the fruit trees over the other products of this Valencian company. Fruit trees gathered in different lines, bare root and in container, fruit trees with two varieties, dwarf fruit trees and the BIO line planned for 2023. Included in a catalog with 250 species of plants, an important part of which will be marketed to buyers of the European Union and third countries.

Conventional and dwarf fruit
The fruit tree is an important product for Orvifrusa, not in vain it produces around 700,000 units annually, in different formats and presentations. We would not lie when saying that, in these two campaigns of coexistence with the pandemic, it is clearly observed that the fruit tree is in fashion.  The consumer likes to grow and consume their own fruit, a decision that is undoubtedly appreciated by the sector.
Certain products are noticing this sales pull. This would be the case of the dwarf fruit tree, an article in high demand especially in Central Europe and of which Orvifrusa is probably the largest European producer.
The Valencian company grows around 90,000 dwarf fruit trees / year, approximately 55-60% bare root and 40-45% in container. The planting of this type of fruit tree will be concluded shortly with a view to the next autumn campaign and the truth is that, given the strong demand, a high percentage will already be served this spring.

The dwarf fruit tree is sold in colored pots, for each species matching the colour of its fruit. The line includes eight proposals: apricot, almond, cherry, plum, apple, peach, nectarine and pear.Among all the fruit trees, the production of fig trees stands out, with around 300,000 units / year of a total of 15 varieties with which each campaign is worked. In addition to the fruit tree, we find a complete range of ornamental plants, among which stand out for the foreign market: Euonymus, aromatic plants, laurel (shrub and tree) and climbing plants, among others.

Export market
The work carried out throughout the long history of Orvifrusa has achieved recognition in the Spanish market and, especilly at an international level. Currently, it is considered a benchmark in the production of fruit trees throughout Europe.

Click for receiving selection of Flormarket Global 105

Over the last 20-25 years, this Spanish company has changed its sales policy. Nowadays, 80% of its business volume corresponds to export, leaving 20% ​​for internal consumption. Exactly the opposite happened two decades ago. Apart from the company’s own commitment, in recent years, due to successive crises, the national market has not increased consumption and it has been necessary to look for alternatives outside the country.
The presence at international fairs, in which the company has participated on numerous occasions, has surely helped its current positioning. And of course, Orvifrusa exhibits every year at Iberflora, the benchmark fair in Spain and also on a global scale, especially with regard to ornamental production.
A good number of buyers visit the Orvifrusa facilities each season. After an interruption during the first months of the Covid-19, as from September 2020, the visits of European clients and of other countries have multiplied. These visits resulted in plant reservation and order confirmation and that reflects the good situation at this moment for the ornamental plant sector.

Promotions to large stores
Large surfaces of supermarket chains and garden centers are looking for small formats. For this chapter and for all the so-called “promotions”, the offer of classic fruit trees in smaller formats stands out, between 5-10 liters, 1-1.20 meter trunk height. France is the main consumer of this product.
Normally, work is done for one year, giving rise to schedules that are reflected in the plantation itself. The fruit tree is cultivated directly in the field, for being transplanted later into a container until its perfect rooting.
Normally, in the months of September – October, the programming of the orders begins to be prepared, closing prices and delivery dates to serve the following fall or wait for spring. Dwarf fruit trees are having great success in large supermarkets, which is why more and more are entering in these promotions, especially for Central European customers. It would be the case of Germany, Denmark, Holland or England. It is a product in which its ornamental value prevails and its final use takes place on balconies and terraces. Hence the finish with colored pots, labeling, etc., with a view to seducing the consumer and making it look attractive at its final location. Mostly, the company serves these distribution chains the product in pallet, box-pallet or carts, sometimes mixed.